Skip Navigation
  • SOS Home
  • Site Map
  • FAQs
  • Online Services
  • Forms
  • Contact SOS
  • close print view

    What should I do if I have a complaint about a car dealer or manager?

    Agency: Department of State

    If you have a complaint, try to work it out with the dealership owner or manager.  If the problem isn't resolved, contact the Department of State's Regulatory Monitoring Division at 1-888-SOS-MICH (767-6424).  An automotive complaint form is available on the Department of State Web site. The bureau investigates issues within its authority.

    > More detailed information regarding purchasing a vehicle from a dealership PDF


    If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner or send us an e-mail and we will help you get the information you need.

    Related Content
     •  Can I return a newly bought vehicle within a certain time period?
     •  What should I do before buying a vehicle from an individual?
     •  What should I do before buying a vehicle from a dealership?
     •  Should I expect the used car I'm buying to have a warranty?
     •  What do I need to sell my car by myself?
     •  If I just bought a vehicle, can I drive it home without it being registered?
     •  How do I verify whether a motor vehicle repair facility is properly licensed or registered by the Department of State?
     •  How do I file a complaint against a dealership, repair facility or mechanic?
     •  What do I need to know about leasing a vehicle?
     •  Do I need to show proof of insurance each time I renew my plate?
     •  Can I renew my plate without going to a Secretary of State office?
     •  I did not receive my renewal form, can you resend me another renewal form?
     •  How can I renew my registration while I am out of state?
     •  How soon should I put my new license plate and tab on my vehicle?
     •  Should I notify anyone about my new license plate?
     •  Can I still keep my Great Lakes Splendor or Auto Centennial license plate?
     •  I sold my vehicle and there are no plans to replace it. What do I do with the license plate?
     •  What license plates are available for order?
     •  Do I need a commercial plate on my vehicle?
     •  What is considered a moped? Are they registered?
    QR code Home
  • SOS Home
  • FAQ
  • Online Services
  • Forms
  • Contact SOS
  • State Web Sites
  • Office of Regulatory Reinvention
  • Spending & Accountability

  • Privacy Policy
  • Link Policy
  • Accessibility Policy
  • Security Policy
  • Michigan Survey

    Copyright © 2001-2014 State of Michigan