Skip Navigation
LARA: Department of Licensing and Regulatory AffairsPORTAL_HEADER_LOGO Home
close print view

I have just received my limited license master's social worker (LLMSW). What supervision must I have?

In order to become fully licensed, you must complete 4,000 hours of supervised practice in the practice modality in which you want to be licensed -- clinical or macro. Supervision must be provided by a fully licensed MSW.

You can work no less than 16 hours but no more than 40 hours per week. You can earn credit for up to 2,000 hours of experience per year. You cannot be granted more than 2,000 hours per year. Supervisory review must be conducted for at least 4 hours per month with at least 1 hour of review being on an individual basis. Supervision may also be conducted in a group setting as long as 50% of the group supervision includes individual contact during which active functions and records of the limited licensee are reviewed.

Related Content
 •  How do I verify my Michigan license to another state?
 •  How long are the Social Service Technician registrations issued for? Can I renew my registration early? How will I know when I need to renew?
 •  I don't have a degree in Social Work. Am I still eligible for registration or licensure?
 •  Veteran BSW FAQ - Why can't I do the same things with my license as a bachelor's social worker as I did before when I was not even registered?
 •  Veteran BSW FAQ - What if my employer asks me to do tasks that are legally outside of my scope of practice?
 •  Veteran BSW FAQ - I do intake interviews and then I provide a diagnosis of the client that is used to determine what treatment the client will be offered. Is that within the scope of a bachelor's ...
 •  Veteran BSW FAQ - As a social worker, I used to lead group therapy sessions. Can I still do that under my bachelor's social work license?
 •  Veteran BSW FAQ - When I was a registered social worker, I was trained to do a specific behavioral therapy technique with my clients. Someone told me I could not offer that therapy any more under ...
 •  How long are the Social Worker licenses issued for? Can I renew my license early? How will I know when I need to renew?
 •  Can CE be earned in any way other than attending seminars?
 •  My supervisor is not a social worker. How can I earn experience towards my license?
 •  When I am advertising my professional services, how do I indicate my license?
 •  Can any LMSW supervise any LLMSW?
 •  I am a social service technician. Am I required to complete continuing education?
 •  I have an LLBSW or LLMSW. Am I required to complete continuing education?
 •  How will the State know how many continuing education credits I have earned?
 •  How can I determine what tasks or functions I can do with my license or registration?
 •  What continuing education courses are acceptable for license renewal?
 •  How many continuing education hours are required to renew my license? Are there any special requirements?
 •  Who needs continuing education?
QR code Home
PoliciesMichigan Survey

Copyright © 2014 State of Michigan